Tuesday 27 January 2009


These two recent drawings are part of a series of four made in the life room.  In each of these studies I spent 15 minutes considering the pose and placing the marks. I like the suggestion of certain areas of the figure and the range of lines from delicate to stressed.

Recently I have been almost cataloguing different groups of people as part of my research for studio work.  As with these two drawings none of those include information of the facial features.  Initially this was unconscious.  I think I am more interested in expressing the subject's mood, emotion or surrounding atmosphere through the pose rather than this being conveyed through their facial expression.

I enjoy the challenge of working with a time constraint whether this is known as in the life room or unknown such as drawings made of unaware subjects in cafes where I think I am attracted to the unpredictable shift in pose and therefore the unknown time constraint. 

For me these progressive studies are not only a constant aid to my observation and visual thinking but also a major part of my studio practice.

No comments: