Tuesday 20 January 2009

Frank the Suit

This is probably my most recent successful drawing. It’s a pencil drawing of my grandfather (1m x 1.5m). Having done some extensive research on American artist, Chuck Close I was inspired to try using a grid to create a hyper-realistic drawing. However when I started it, I soon realized how boring working through square after square of tone can become so began to think of how I could give myself some incentive to finish the piece. I decided to work out how much of the bursary I receive from the government for studying here each square of tone was worth and drew up a timesheet and imaginary contract of employment thus forcing myself to get a certain amount done each day. It was also a reflection on the working class ethos towards work. In all the drawing took me 52 hours and each square was worth £1.77 of my monthly bursary and loan (a cheap pint’s worth at least). I think this image was a turning point in my time here at the art school because I began to get closer to balancing traditional drawing skills with conceptualism – something which I have struggled immensely with since starting here. It also made me feel addicted to drawing again, a feeling which I hadn't had in a long time.

No comments: