Monday 26 January 2009

apologies for the poor image quality!

This is a very recent drawing done as part of my project in second year painting&printmaking. I am interested in applications of photography in relation to drawing and markmaking, as well as how much/little needs to be represented in order to present the idea of a face/hand/object/whatever. The drawing is actually done from a very blurred and distorted photograph of a friend, this is the kind of photo I would normally have discarded, however the idea of working on the intricacies of something usually so undervalued quite interested me and I have noticed that this theme of retribution of the discarded that has run through alot of my previous work.
I am fairly pleased with this drawing; I was trying to use different marks to represent more and less definate shapes in the photograph (the really fine lines aren't visible as my flat is so dark!) which I hope translates into a sense of uncertainty about the true placement of the figure. I am also interested in the flatness of the drawing coupled with some tentative attempts at representing form. I realise that it looks a bit unfinished, however in the past I have had a massive tendancy to overwork my drawings so I am fairly happy with this as being a "finished" piece which simply gives some idea of a face.

No comments: