Thursday 29 January 2009

Late entry for the drawing blog.
































Hi all
Sorry this is so late.

This is my final drawing project for my drawing class last semester at RISD (Rhode Island School of Design). We were to create a tryptic, in charcoal or ink, of a study of an interior space. We had to show good understanding of perspective and portray a change of lighting and mood as the eye moves aross the piece. Each of my drawings was 3ft high x 4ft long. Very big and cumbersome for working in an attic!

For me this was a really important drawing as I'd been struggling all semester with my pieces. Thankfully this one was well received and I find that looking back, the thing that was crucial to success of this drawing is that I was really interested in the subject matter and that it was really personal to me.

This drawing was done in a little attic room on campus. I used photo reference for myself, and the room itself, for the room.

It's an introspective, private piece. Because there was a lot going on personally with me at the time, I just went all out as I drew it and experimented with charcoal of all types, charcoal powder, and all kinds of applicants. The more I let go and stopped worrying about how to draw, the more I got into this and now as a result, can take from it.

No comments: