Friday 13 March 2009

recent drawing


This is a page of recent life drawings done with a calligraphy pen and water. I'm most comfortable working on poses for 5 minutes or less because i'm easily frustrated or become cautious of overworking a drawing. Also because I'm not really interested in making a life like study. I prefer to describe the figure in a way that I can relate to my studio practice.
I often find my most successful drawings are those I can't remember happening, because they have been an uninhibited reaction to what is in front of me. It is important to me to maintain an element of expressionistic mark making. Although they are minimal and I have selected the information I want to leave out, this is an instinctive process and the lines I do use are very immediate.

No comments: