Sunday 8 February 2009



This is a drawing by Glasgow artist, David Shrigley. This is an excerpt from an animation which he made called "Who I am and what I want". The thing that I really love about Shrigleys work is his honesty and humour. It is usually the text in his images (typically his own hand writing) which adds the humour to his simple and rather childish ink pen drawings.

Shrigley's manic sense of humour is also conveyed in his sometimes rather disturbing images. His figures rarely have eyeballs, and often resemble scrawny looking birdlike creatures. He treats images of gore and horror with a light-hearted and comical attitude (maybe he appeals to my sick sense of humour?)

His use of line is often rather shaky or scribbly and can seem out of place in the gallery context. Also, much of his text is crossed out, or written over, as though it is nothing more than a private doodle, not meant to be on show to the public. I am interested in the debate about whether or not Shrigley's doodles are actually art. I suppose I'm kind of attracted to the idea of his work as being, for use of a better term, "fuck you!" art. And it's always nice to look at a drawing that makes you laugh out loud.

No comments: