Thursday 5 February 2009

Matisse Line Drawings

They are classics but also some of my absolute favourite drawings ever- I love Matisse’s line drawings.  I’ve never been a massive fan of his sculpture or coloured work but I find his simple line drawings absolutely beautiful. Usually of nude women and the occasional self portrait, I love the way Matisse keeps lines clean and simple yet adds flourishes and details in the patterns and backgrounds. This particular example is drawn with pen and indian ink and dated 1935. Like many of his drawings, Matisse has drawn a mirror, often his way of adding his own controlling presence as he usually shows a reflection of himself. The lines are so clear but also seem incredibly free, I think it is spontaneous and beautiful. Drawings like this are what made me want to study art.


No comments: