Tuesday 31 January 2012

dad

we were meant to put up a recent picture, and i suppose you could argue i did this 4 years ago, so its not that recent. But, i have a crazy amount of drawings from the day i was born. I my mum is a painter and she made me draw from day one, and shes kept ALOT of evidence. haha. I will post i really recent drawing too, and compare it to this one. This is a drawing of my dads head. I remember doing so clearly in his smokey, dark red living room while he was watching a 1980s film with jean wilder, one of his favourite actors. My dad had an accident, and was spending a a lot of time on is old battered red velvet couch, so i crew him as a couch potato - hence its just his head. This was a time when i was trying to understand my dad better, and not argue with him as much - we managed to get on well when he would talk about his work, or he showed me his carvings. The hundreds of multiple lines are a imitation of how my dad carves into purbec hard white stone, and since i was little had a very strong love of watching my dad whittle away at stone, leaving the raw groves from a specific pronged chisel he ha shaped himself. I really had to look hard into every wrinkle hair and scar - to satisfy this angry want to understand or be on a level with my dad. He is so physically connected to his work, and he is pretty miserable when hes not carving. So, yep, I'm carving his face on the pace in the style he works in, pretty simple. I also I'm pretty miserable when I'm not making, an this for me  is one of the most important drawings Ive ever done for that reason - its up in my room, a place i see it everyday to encourage me to work to keep sane and happy, even if its a little doodle of my neighbours cat.

No comments: