Monday 30 January 2012

Successful drawing


This is a drawing/collage that I did for The Outsider by Albert Camus. I created the man out of collaged pieces of the inside of envelopes,  I find these to be particularly interesting as they come in so many shades and designs. I thought the choice of using the insides of envelopes was appropriate for depicting Meursault, the main character who often demonstrates emotional detachment from his environment. 
I created the shadow out of a combination of thread and pencil line drawings. I think this works well as it  creates an uneven effect and doesn't make the drawing as a whole look too neat.  Once I'd finished the drawing I flattened the image by scanning it, I think this creates a more finished look and helps to pull out the shadows that the thread is creating which adds more depth.

No comments: